Thursday, January 24, 2013

Eco-Friendly Abundance in my Studio

I live in a 1.5 bedroom house. The .5 bedroom is for storage so that leaves only the kitchen, which is fairly large, for studio space. Actually it is an open area that would be kitchen & dining area. I have taken over the dining area.


I prefer to use recycled fabrics and embellishments in my designs for two reasons. Cost is one, but the other is I'd rather keep the old stuff out of the landfills AND unless you are buying Peace Silk, the process of harvesting silk is quite brutal. I am amazed at the amount of natural fabrics I find at yard sales and thrift stores. Beautiful rayon, cotton, silk and linen are very abundant. By scrounging materials in this way I can keep my costs down and pass the savings on to my customers. It does however, tend to create a cluttered studio.


My solution is this great storage space. I am attempting to keep the materials somewhat color coordinated but already need another row of squares! I am working towards a studio space separate from the house. How do my hip boots wind up on my felting table?? Well, it is in the center of house activities. A studio, a real, separate, private studio. It's on it's way - that much I am sure of. In the meantime, I will put the hip boots away, install another row of storage space, smile at my abundance and hit another thrift store. Wheeeee!



No comments:

Post a Comment