Thursday, January 17, 2013

Starting a new Cloche (hand sculpted wide brimmed felt hat)

A customer recently ordered a custom made felt cloche, and her only request is that the hat be green. She is an opera singer with vibrant red hair and the green hat will look so striking on her. I picked out an olive green merino roving and some off white re-purposed vintage cotton lace for the hat band. I also include a lovely flower in complimentary colors and I am thinking that this green and gold shimmery shirt fabric would make a beautiful flower. Any thoughts? I might add a bit of red to the flower as well - just a touch.



I love making these cloches!! I took an online workshop by HandiCraftKate and it was such an excellent class. It was only $8 and I have lifetime access to it in case I forget anything - thank goodness! Felting is so great to begin with and in the making of these hats I get to utilize my skills in flat felting, nuno felting and sculpting with wool. So much fun! I will be taking photos as I go along and will be posting them here so you can see the process and steps involved. Today I started by selecting my roving and fabrics and tomorrow I will lay out and make the flat felt that will magically be transformed into a beautiful cloche. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment